Please look over the directions, complete the form with the correct information, and return it to the Consulate with the required attachments.
Public Hours: 9:00am - 1:00pm
The Consulate address is:
Embassy of Afghanistan - Consulate Section
2233 Wisconsin Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20007
Tel: 202-298-9125 ext. 8036 and 8007
New Electronic Passport
The Embassy of Afghanistan in Washington, D.C. - Consulate Section is starting the issuance of the new machine-readable Afghan passport starting January, 2015. Please note that we no longer issue or extend old non-electronic passports, and you must apply for the new machine-readable electronic passport.
Please look over the directions, complete the form with the correct information, and submit it to the Consular Office with the required attachments.
Requirements for the Issuance of the New Machine-Readable (digital) Afghan Passport
- Presence of the applicant at the Consulate of Afghanistan in Washington, D.C. is mandatory in order to take the fingerprints and follow other processing procedures.
- A completed new passport application form in Dari/Pashto and English:
- Identification documents indicating Afghan citizenship (including National ID/ TAZKERA, previous Afghan passport).
Note: Afghans born the in U.S and under 17 years old (those without a Tazkera) are not required to have a Tazkera to get a passport. They need to have a birth certificate and proof of their parent’s Afghan citizenship documents (Tazkera or passport).
- It is mandatory to bring your previous Afghan Passport to the consulate, if you have been issued one in the past. If your passport has been lost or stolen, please submit a police report with your application and a copy of your passport.
- If you are a U.S. alien resident, please provide documents indicating your residence in the US (copy of your Green Card (front and back), your Social Security Number).
- Three passport-size photos with a white background. Please refer to the following link for the photo requirements:
- An original signature of the applicant on the designated box on the second page of the passport application. Please make sure that your signature is not touching the box lines.
- The fee for the digital passport is $104.00 which should be in the form of money order. Submit one money order per applicant, payable to the Embassy of Afghanistan in Washington, D.C. Please DO NOT submit one money order for more than one applicant. THE FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
- If the old passport is expired, the following penalty fees are applicable:
- 3 months past validity date on passport: $5.00
- 6 months past validity date on passport: $10.00
- 9 months past validity date on passport: $15.00
- 12 months past validity date on passport: $20.00
The issuance of a new machine-readable Afghan passport normally takes 5 to 7 business days. It may take longer in exceptional circumstances.
Please be advised that the processing time will be adjusted if your application is denied for the following reasons:
- Application not completely filled out,
- Important information missing on the application, and/or
- The supporting documents presented to the Consulate do not satisfy the requirements.
- Since currently the electronic passports are being printed in the Consulate General of Afghanistan in New York, a shipping fee is applied.
A passport shipping fee from New York to Washington, D.C. in the form of a money order payable to the Embassy of Afghanistan in Washington, D.C. is required. There are two types of fees, depending on your mailing preferences, as follows:
- 5 to 7 business days: $10.00
- 1 to 2 business days: $25.50
Mailing times and costs from New York to D.C. are subject to change depending on circumstances.
- One prepaid label with envelope from the Consulate of Afghanistan in D.C. to YOUR ADDRESS.